ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Florida recently crossed the 60-percent threshold of adults who have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
It's a good push toward keeping the pandemic at bay, but it might not be enough to reach President Joe Biden's goal of celebrating independence from the coronavirus. Since mid-April, the demand for vaccines has dropped off significantly.
Data for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows 60.9 percent of Florida's adult population have received a dose of Johnson & Johnson's one-shot vaccine or Pfizer's two-shot product as of June 7.
That's 26th in the nation, above states like Texas (58.2 percent) and Georgia (51.9 percent) but below others including California (71.2 percent) and New York (68.9 percent).
With just under a month to go, The New York Times recently found Florida might just miss the 70-percent threshold if it continues its current pace. The outlet projects the state will only reach 67 percent on July 4.
There remain concerns among health experts that the virus could continue spreading if there are places across the country where people are not vaccinated.
"You still have these significant pockets and states where the rates of immunity are much lower," said Dr. Marcus Plescia, the chief medical officer for the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials to the Times. "So we could have another wave pop up."
The state of Florida has an interactive map showing vaccine locations statewide and county by county.
What other people are reading right now:
- How to take mental health leave from work
- Jury selection for Riverview man accused of killing girlfriend, daughter set for Monday
- Police: Man shoots, kills 2 people, including teen; leaves 3 others injured before turning the gun on himself in South Florida
- FHP: Man hit pedestrian in Weeki Wachee, dumped man's remains at back of bait shop in Spring Hill
- Woman accused of hit-and-run crash at cycling studio arrested, FHP says
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter