An apple a day keeps the doctor away, and now bacon might be doing just the opposite.
A new study published in the International Journal of Epidemiology says eating just one slice of bacon a day could increase the risk for cancer.
Researchers followed around half a million people in the United Kingdom and found that for every 25 grams of processed meats like sausage or bacon eaten every day, the risk for colorectal cancer went up by 20%.
A thin slice of bacon is about .8 ounces or 25 grams.
The study showed that eating red meat also increased people’s risk for cancer, but it took longer.
What other people are reading right now:
- Girl who died in SC classroom died of natural causes, not fight, officials say
- California couple who starved, shackled children sentenced to life in prison
- 8-year-old girl dies after tree falls on house during storm
- Investigation: Shattering sunroofs put drivers at risk
- ‘School’ misspelled at Florida crosswalk
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.