Amid the team's reporting and conversations with brave people willing to share their stories on mental illness, we've compiled a "by the numbers" list across various areas of mental health.
Here's a sampling:
- About 1 in 5 adults in the U.S. -- 43.8 million or 18.5 percent – experiences mental illness in a given year. -- Source: National Alliance on Mental Illness
- About 1 in 5 youth aged 13-18 experiences a severe mental disorder at some point during their life.
- Only 41 percent of adults in the U.S. with a mental health condition received mental health services in the past year.
- 16 million people had at least one major depressive episode in the past year.
- Serious mental illness costs America $193.2 billion in lost earnings per year.
- More than 90 percent of children who die by suicide had a mental health condition.
- About 1.1 percent of adults in the U.S. live with schizophrenia.
- About 2.6 percent of adults in the U.S. live with bipolar disorder.
- An estimated 18-22 veterans die by suicide because of a lack of mental health treatment.
- About 18.1 percent of adults in the U.S. experienced an anxiety disorder, including PTSD, obsessive-compulsive disorder and specific phobias.
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.