HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. — A health advisory has been issued for Simmons Park Beach in Ruskin after tests showed an unacceptable level of the enterococci bacteria, the Hillsborough County Health Department said.
The advisory means swimmers are at A potential risk of illness.
Enterococci inhabit the intestinal tract of humans and animals, and a high level indicates fecal pollution, which may come from stormwater runoff, pets and wildlife, and human sewage. The bacteria can cause human disease, infections or rashes.
The beach will be tested again on Feb. 20.
For more information, call the health department at (813) 307-8059.
What others are reading right now:
- Florida lawmaker suggests shutting down UCF
- Not a boy, not a girl. Sparrow is a gender-neutral 'theyby'
- Alienation of affection: Yes, you can sue your marriage's homewrecker
- Florida moves bill that would allow smokable medical marijuana
- Florida man accused of beaning girlfriend in the face with burrito
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10 News app now.