BEIJING, China — China has reported another sharp rise in the number of people infected with the coronavirus as the death toll neared 1,400.
The National Health Commission said Friday that 121 more people had died and there were 5,090 new confirmed cases.
The number of reported cases has been rising more quickly after the hardest hit province changed the way it is counting them Thursday. There are now 63,851 confirmed cases in mainland China, of which 1,380 have died.
Hubei province is now including cases based on a physician’s diagnosis and before they have been confirmed by lab tests.
Of the 5,090 new cases, 3,095 fell into that category.
What other people are reading right now:
- Missing SC 6-year-old Faye Swetlik found dead
- Snakes congregating in Lakeland are just there to mate
- NASA shares updated 'Pale Blue Dot' image of Earth 3.8 billion miles away for 30th anniversary
- Robert Irwin holding a koala is the spitting image of dad Steve Irwin
- Pictures of vehicles released in search for missing South Carolina 6-year-old girl
- Back on land: Florida family once stuck on a cruise ship without passports, a sick child