Editor's Note: This story has been updated to reflect new delays impacting more passengers.
CLEARWATER, Fla. — Allegiant Air has canceled several upcoming flights in Florida due to new aircraft delivery delays.
Spokeswoman Krysta Levy confirmed to 10News the airline is transitioning to an all-Airbus fleet and the delay has strained resources.
"Unfortunately, some of the delivery dates for aircraft scheduled to join our fleet have fallen short of the projections, leaving us with limited resources available and the very difficult choice to cancel certain flights," Levy said in an email.
An airline travel advisory says at least 14 upcoming flights over the next week at St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport have been canceled. Levy said more cancelations are possible on top of what's already listed on their website and in the lists below.
Levy says passengers have been offered refunds or re-accommodation.
What's Your Say Tampa Bay? Would you fly Allegiant despite safety and scheduling issues?
The budget carrier has long relied on an aging fleet of McDonnell Douglas MD-80s, which came under heightened scrutiny following a scathing report in April on CBS' '60 Minutes.'
In August, the airline announced it had replaced all of the MD-80s at St. Pete-Clearwater International with Airbus 320s. It plans to replace its all of its MD-80s by 2019 because the aging models are prone to mechanical failures.
"These aircraft have their own economic advantages - nine more seats and 5%-7% fuel savings over our current used A320s," the arline's CEO Maury Gallagher previously stated. "These features will allow us to maintain our model’s low cost structure and low-frequency schedule."
The move to replace its fleet marked the first ever instance of the airline purchasing all-new planes.
Below is an UPDATED list of cancelations, so far, listed on Allegiant's website:
Canceled Flights for June 15, 2018:
- Flight 824 from St. Petersburg, FL to Des Moines, IA has been canceled.
- Flight 825 from Des Moines, IA to St. Petersburg, FL has been canceled.
- Flight 866 from St. Petersburg, FL to Pittsburgh, PA has been canceled.
- Flight 867 from Pittsburgh, PA to St. Petersburg, FL has been canceled.
- Flight 882 from St. Petersburg, FL to Grand Rapids, MI has been canceled.
- Flight 883 from Grand Rapids, MI to St. Petersburg, FL has been canceled.
- Flight 926 from St. Petersburg, FL to Providence, RI has been canceled.
- Flight 927 from Providence, RI to St. Petersburg, FL has been canceled.
Canceled Flights for June 21, 2018:
- Flight 814 from St. Petersburg, FL to Raleigh Durham, NC has been canceled.
- Flight 815 from Raleigh Durham, NC to St. Petersburg, FL has been canceled.
- Flight 860 from St. Petersburg, FL to Lexington, KY has been canceled.
- Flight 861 from Lexington, KY to St. Petersburg, FL has been canceled.
Canceled Flights for June 22, 2018:
Flight 940 from St. Petersburg, FL to Ogdensburg, NY has been canceled.
Flight 941 from Ogdensburg, NY to St. Petersburg, FL has been canceled.
The Associated Press and USA TODAY contributed to this report.
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.