LUTZ, Fla. — The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office is investigating after a man's body was found Wednesday inside a burning car.
Authorities got the call around noon about a car on fire on the side parking lot of the Kohl's shopping center near Dale Mabry and Van Dyke Road in Lutz.
When deputies arrived, they found a man dead inside the car. Witnesses told deputies several people tried to rescue the man but weren't able to because of the flames coming from the car.
The body will be autopsied to determine the cause of death. Authorities say the man's identity is still unknown because his body was severely burned. ]
"We applaud the bystanders who tried to rescue this man from the burning vehicle," Sheriff Chad Chronister said. "Unfortunately, the intensity of the flames made it impossible. Our deputies are working to find out what caused the fire and the nature of this man's death. We ask anyone who saw or heard something to please give us a call at (813) 247-8200."
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office deputies are still trying to piece together what happened.
This is a developing story; check back for updates.
What other people are reading right now:
- Here's how Crew Dragon compares to the 8 other spaceships that have carried humans
- Disney World proposes reopening July 11 with mandatory masks for all
- SeaWorld, Busch Gardens propose reopening parks June 10
- Troopers say open roads have led to a need for speed across the Tampa Bay area
- Floridians can get 13 additional weeks of unemployment under federal program
- Will a judge be able to force Florida to speed up unemployment fixes, payments of benefits?
- Weather forecast looks iffy -- but better -- for historic SpaceX, NASA launch
FREE 10 TAMPA BAY APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter