CLEARWATER, Fla. — Our local firefighters do so much more than protect the community--they perform life-saving efforts and emergency medical services every day. Recently, one Clearwater fire medic went above and beyond.
While on the way to Morton Plant Hospital, Fire Medic Fredy Ortiz jumped into action for one mommy-to-be. He delivered a baby in the back of the ambulance.
Ortiz was awarded the "peer challenge coin" by Lt. Jason Haynor in recognition of his quick-thinking.
Clearwater Fire & Rescue Department says the idea for the peer challenge coin came about as a way to boost the department's morale. It is passed along among firefighters from all three fire department shifts and the lifeguards.
Now, it's up to Ortiz to pass the coin on to one of his fellow firefighters who are working every day to protect lives in the Tampa Bay area.
- CVS, Walgreens, Walmart and Publix offering COVID vaccine to Florida teachers under 50
- Teen saves friend's life one day after earning CPR certification
- After marathon bill-reading session, Senate set to debate COVID relief Friday
- Data shows Black and Hispanic Floridians left behind in vaccine access
- Tampa Bay YMCAs offer free swim lessons for kids over spring break
- Rain likely across Tampa Bay this weekend
- Your guide to the 2021 Florida Strawberry Festival
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter