SARASOTA, Fla. — The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office is investigating the "tragic death" of an 11-year-old girl who died Wednesday in a house fire.
According to the sheriff's office, deputies were called around 5:45 p.m. to the 1100 block of Iowa Street about two homes on fire.
Deputies say witnesses told them the girl, identified as 11-year-old Rilee Beisler, went into one of the homes. Witnesses reportedly told deputies bystanders tried to help, but Rilee never came back out of the home alive.
Detectives say they believe she may have been trying save her dogs from the fire.
The sheriff's office says the state fire marshal is leading the investigation into the fire and detectives, along with the medical examiner's office, are continuing to investigate the girl's death.
Detectives say at this time the fire doesn't appear to be criminal, and Rilee's death is believed to have been caused by smoke inhalation.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
What other people are reading right now:
- Buying a home in a seller's market? We have tips.
- When you should workout after getting COVID-19
- Critics unsure if Facebook's oversight board is a watchdog or distraction
- FHP: Driver charged with DUI after trooper, others injured in I-275 crash
- Gov. Ron DeSantis officially announces $1,000 bonuses for first responders
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter