TAMPA, Fla. — A driver is dead after a traffic stop ended in gunfire, according to the Tampa Police Department.
The shooting took place around 11:37 p.m. Tuesday on North 34th and East Palifox streets in East Tampa.
Officers said they attempted a traffic stop on a white Impala that may have been involved in a shooting last Friday in Grant Park. According to police, the driver, Jonas Joseph, 26, hit a police car and then a tree while trying to take off.
Police say Joseph started shooting at officers, who in turn fired, killing him.
A second gun was found in the Impala, according to police.
Five officers have been placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure.
The Impala matched the description of the car seen leaving a shooting on N. 53rd Street on April 23. A woman suffered non-life-threatening injuries in that shooting.
The investigation is still ongoing.
This is a developing story; check back for updates.
What other people are reading right now:
- 'Ineligible' for unemployment assistance? Florida wants you to apply again
- Pinellas County beaches reopening Monday with restrictions
- Governor DeSantis will make an announcement Wednesday about reopening Florida
- What will Florida restaurants need to do to reopen? A food safety expert weighs in
- Do your glasses fog up when you wear a mask? Here's how to fix that
- 2020 Atlantic hurricane season: This could be an active few months
- Hotlines, websites offer the latest on COVID-19
FREE 10NEWS APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter