TAMPA, Fla. - A malfunctioned room heater/air conditioner unit caused a fire that forced the evacuation of the Marriott Hotel on West Cypress Street, Tampa Fire Rescue said.

The room, located on the third floor, caught fire at about 9:15 p.m. after a guest turned on the unit, when then caught fire, the department said.

"The sprinkler system inside the room activated properly and kept the fire from spreading until firefighters arrived on scene to ensure the fire was out," the department said in a statement. "Fire damage was not slated to the fire room. Other rooms sustained smoke and water damage."

The fire was under control in about 15 minutes, the department said.

Westbound Cypress Street from Dale Mabry Highway to Lois Avenue was closed due to the emergency vehicles.

All occupants were safely evacuated and no injuries were reported, authorities said.

Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10 News app now.

Have a news tip? Email tips@wtsp.com, visit our Facebook page or Twitter feed.