BAYPORT, Fla. — Update:
Florida Forest Service is backburning to create a fire break along Cortez Blvd. Cortez is shut down between Shoal Line Blvd and Pine Island Dr.
The fire is approximately 225 acres.
Hernando County Parks and Recreation said Tuesday it was closing Pine Island Park because of how close a brush fire was getting.
Hernando County Fire and Emergency Services were called around 6:38 p.m. Monday for the 185-acre fire located north of Cortez Boulevard and east of Pine Island Drive, according to a news release.
Upon arrival, crews said the fire was slow-moving and inaccessible to firefighting equipment.
The Florida Department of Forestry reports no structures are in any danger. It's moving southward, creating a large amount of smoke.
People are told to use caution if driving in the area because of reduced visibility.
- Hillsborough County school leaders push back after state said district 'needs to follow the law'
- Invest 95-L could become next depression or tropical storm
- Family of Don Lewis, whose cold case drew new interest after 'Tiger King,' offers $100K reward
- Reports: Big Ten votes to cancel 2020 football season
- These phone numbers are contact tracers trying to get ahold of you
- Trump abruptly leaves press conference after shooting outside White House
FREE 10 TAMPA BAY APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter