BROOKSVILLE, Fla. — Several pets were killed Wednesday after a witness says a trash fire spread to a home in Hernando County, causing extensive damage.
Hernando County Fire and Emergency Services were called out to the home in the 14000 block of Citrus Way for a report of a fire this morning after a witness called 911.
According to a release, the wind appeared to push burning debris from a trash fire under the home, leading it to catch fire within minutes.
Firefighters say they encountered heavy fire, a partially collapsed patio roof, and smoke in the home.
While the homeowners were OK, the firefighters say the house was a total loss and several pets died.
The cause of the fire is currently under investigation by the State Fire Marshall's Office.
- FAA lifts US grounding of Boeing 737 MAX
- Pfizer: COVID-19 shot 95% effective, seeking vaccine approval soon
- Florida reports 7,459 new COVID-19 cases amid increase in hospitalizations
- Rapper Lil Wayne charged with federal gun offense in Florida
- Walmart announces free Thanksgiving dinner for everyone
- Where's DeSantis? Governor remains silent on rising coronavirus cases
- Detroit-area county certifies vote after first blocking it
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter