LAKE PLACID, Fla. — Two people were killed in a crash involving several cars in Highlands County, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
It happened overnight Saturday on State Road 70, roughly two miles east of Park Land Drive, troopers said in a news release.
A truck, driven by an 18-year-old Sebring girl, was heading west on State Road 70 when it went off the road and crashed into a tree and utility pole, according to FHP.
An oncoming SUV ended up hitting the side of the truck, which caused the truck to overturn. A third car then came up and crashed into the SUV. Troopers say a fourth vehicle, another truck, approached and hit the side of the first truck and overturned.
The 18-year-old Sebring girl and her 21-year-old male passenger died at the scene of the crash. The driver of the fourth truck, an 18-year-old Lake Placid girl, is listed in critical condition at the hospital.
State Road 70 was closed from U.S. 27 to Placid View Drive for several hours. It has since reopened to traffic.
What other people are reading right now:
- You're vaccinated? Here's why you should still wear a mask
- League of Women Voters, Black Voters Matter sues all 67 counties over new election restrictions
- Gov. Ron DeSantis signs voting restrictions bill into law
- Study estimates there have been twice as many COVID deaths as reported
- Relief on the way for Florida’s hardest-hit restaurants
- Your ultimate Mother's Day gift guide
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter