HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. — Saharan dust moving through the Tampa Bay area this weekend prompted the Environmental Protection Commission of Hillsborough County to issue an air pollution precaution.
The commission says the precaution was issued due to elevated levels of PM2.5. The elevated levels could reach "unhealthy levels" for sensitive groups, including the elderly, children and people with respiratory ailments.
The precaution went into effect immediately Saturday and remains in effect through Sunday in Hillsborough County.
The commission says those with respiratory issues or who are part of sensitive groups should "consider reducing prolonged or heavy exertion outdoors this afternoon and this evening."
- Juneteenth officially a federal holiday as Biden signs bill into law
- Are things 'Point-ing' toward a 3-1 Lightning lead?
- One-legged athlete has dreams to compete at CrossFit Games
- Ronnie Oneal rests case after 32 minutes of questioning witnesses in his capital murder trial
- A Frank Conversation: New podcast explores race, religion, politics and more
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter