TOWN 'N' COUNTRY, Fla. — The Florida Highway Patrol is taking over an investigation into a crash where a driver hit and killed a person whose body was struck by two deputies' cruisers.
It happened around 4 a.m. Sunday on eastbound Hillsborough Avenue near George Road, according to a Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office news release.
A driver called 911 after hitting a 27-year-old man from Orlando, who's believed to have walked into the road, deputies say. The driver stayed at the scene.
Two responding deputies hit the body that still was in the road. They are identified as 25-year-old Jorge Gonzales Fundora and 24-year-old Raymond Weibley, the news release states. They have been with the agency since January and May 2019, respectively.
FHP says the divided, six-lane highway is unlit in the area.
The sheriff's office says both deputies do not have any previous history of incidents.
What other people are reading right now:
- President Trump's doctor says he is no longer at risk of transmitting virus
- Rays set to make first ALCS appearance in 12 years
- Florida Department of Health delays daily COVID-19 report after lab submits 400K previously-reported test results
- Body found inside submerged SUV believed to be missign Venice woman, police say
- USF researchers creating a COVID-19 'breathalyzer' that could detect the virus in a minute or less
- What you need to know about the 6 constitutional amendments on Florida ballots
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter