HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. — The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office is putting a team together to address a growing concern both nationally and locally: gun violence.
The specialized team will focus on reducing street violence and non-deadly shootings, according to the sheriff's office.
Sheriff Chad Chronister announced the Gunfire Response Investigations Team, otherwise known as GRIT, Wednesday at HCSO Sheriff's Operations Center in Ybor City.
“We will ensure that these criminals are no longer able to inflict fear and violence on our streets, in our neighborhoods, and the community we share," Chronister said.
The sheriff spoke about the importance of responsible gun ownership, including storing your gun in a safe location. He explained that GRIT's sole focus will be on working with state and federal partners to address gun violence in our community.
The team will use resources to identify violent individuals, increase the probability of crime being solved, and bring justice to those affected by gun violence in Hillsborough County, Sheriff Chronister added.
- 'City of Champions': Buccaneers celebrate Super Bowl LV victory with White House ceremony
- Blue Origin's Jeff Bezos reaches space on 1st passenger flight
- I'm vaccinated against COVID-19 but I tested positive for the virus. What now?
- Current COVID surge in Florida not due to ‘seasonal pattern’ of virus
- DOJ: Tampa Oath Keepers member pleads guilty in Capitol insurrection case
- A Frank Conversation: New podcast explores race, religion, politics and more
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter