TAMPA, Fla. — Tampa police are investigating after they say a 22-year-old man was found shot and killed in a car on I-275.
Investigators say the call came in just before 11:30 p.m. Tuesday on the southbound side of I-275 at Busch Boulevard. Tampa Fire Rescue, Florida Highway Patrol and the police department all responded to what was originally reported as a crash.
Officers say arrived to find a 2015 blue Dodge with multiple bullet holes resting against the center concrete guardrail. The driver, a 22-year-old Black man, was found suffering from a gunshot to the upper body, according to police.
Police say the man was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The southbound lanes of I-275 from Fowler Avenue to Busch Boulevard were closed for investigation between 11:30 p.m. and 6:30 a.m.
Detectives are still working to determine what led up to the shooting and where the incident happened.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crimestoppers of Tampa Bay
This is a developing story. Stay with 10 Tampa Bay for updates.
What other people are reading right now:
- Alligator attacks woman walking dog in Palm Harbor
- US Senate report details sweeping failures around Jan. 6 Capitol attack
- Hernando County kennel operator ordered to never again own an animal in Florida
- New FDA approved Alzheimer’s treatment 'brings hope,' even if it’s not a 'miracle drug'
- 4-year-old shoots 6-year-old in Tampa, police say
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter