TAMPA, Fla. — A Hillsborough County jail inmate is facing additional felony charges after an assault on a deputy was caught on camera.
Around 11:15 a.m. Tuesday, a deputy was attempting to exit a jail pod with Michler Gabriel, 38, when the deputy said Gabriel refused to back away from the door as the deputy was opening it. When the deputy attempted to stop Gabriel, he punched the deputy in the face -- striking him several times.
The deputy was treated for bruising, swelling and lacerations at Tampa General Hospital.
Prior to the battery, Gabriel was being held at Orient Road Jail on driving with a suspended license, possession of a controlled substance (5 counts), possession of cannabis, armed trafficking in phenethylamines, possession of cocaine, possession of drug paraphernalia, felon in possession of a firearm (2 counts) and carrying a concealed firearm.
After this incident, he is now facing felony charges of battery on a law enforcement officer and battery by a detained person.
What other people are reading right now:
- Tampa Bay waking up to coldest temperatures in two years
- Falling iguanas: These guys could fall from the trees in the Florida cold!
- Smoke from 3,800-acre controlled burn blows into Tampa Bay
- Watch: Firefighters rescue dog and owner from icy pond
- Taylor Swift reveals her mom was diagnosed with a brain tumor
- Attention viewers: WTSP is undergoing planned work on our tower