RIVERVIEW, Fla. — One person was killed and another injured in what's being called an "incident" on the Alafia River.
It happened around 7 p.m. Sunday on the river east of the Interstate 75 bridge, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman Bryce Phillippi said.
Law enforcement believes a boat pulling a tube with two people on top of it somehow got into an accident with a Jet Ski.
One person on the tube was taken to an area hospital for treatment, while the other person was killed, Phillippi said. What led up to the incident remains under investigation, he added.
"Our thoughts are with the family of the deceased at this time," Phillippi said.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office earlier said it was assisting the FWC in what it called a Jet Ski accident on the river. It sent a dive team to the river to help FWC officers.
Additional details, including who might be involved and if people are cooperating with the investigation, are not yet known.
Anyone who might have seen what happened is asked to call the FWC at 888-404-3922.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
What other people are reading right now:
- Tropical Storm Arthur churns away from Florida, toward the Carolinas
- 18-year-old shot, killed in downtown Tampa park
- Gym owners hopeful, preparing to reopen as part of phase one
- Breaking down Gov. DeSantis' new phase one guidance: What does it mean?
- Disney Springs releases new guidelines ahead of reopening
- Nursing homes can't seize stimulus checks for Medicare, FTC says
- Governor sparks outrage after blaming some Floridians for errors on unemployment applications
FREE 10NEWS APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter