LITHIA, Fla. — An investigation is ongoing into a deadly shooting between two family members.
It happened just before 7 p.m. Tuesday in the area of Starling Water Drive and Starling Dale Lane, according to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies say a man in his 20s called 911 and said an adult, male relative threatened him with a gun. The caller reportedly claimed to fear for his life and grabbed his own weapon.
He shot the relative several times, the sheriff's office says, adding the man was dead when deputies arrived. It's believed there is no threat to the public.
"I am heartbroken for this family who is dealing with so much tragedy just two days before Thanksgiving," Sheriff Chad Chronister said in a prepared statement. "The shooter is cooperating with deputies, and the investigation is ongoing."
No arrests have been made at this time.
- 'Trigger man' accused of triple murder had 200+ felony charges: An error meant a judge didn't know
- Ken Jennings to host first 'Jeopardy!' episodes when production resumes
- Police: Man kidnaps woman in Orlando, brings her to Sarasota and sexually assaults her
- Tips on keeping your car clean while traveling
- White House highlights Tampa Bay as top area where COVID-19 is aggressively spreading
- Formal Joe Biden transition may begin, US agency concludes
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter