TAMPA, Fla — Tampa police are investigating what led up to a domestic disturbance ending with the death of a six-month pregnant woman and the baby she was carrying.
The Tampa Police Department says it responded to the 2200 block of E. Emma Street regarding the disturbance when they found a pregnant woman with life-threatening injuries.
She was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital where she later died of her injuries, according to a release. Police also say the unborn child was delivered by hospital personnel but died shortly after.
During an investigation, the police department identified Jay Leonard Rodriguez, 39, as the person who physically attacked the woman and "caused the deaths of both victims," according to a release.
He was said to have been taken into custody without incident.
Officers say Rodriguez has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder related to the deaths and violation of probation.
The investigation is ongoing.
What other people are reading right now:
- Rays look to secure World Series berth in a decisive Game 7
- Polls suggest Biden, Trump neck and neck in Florida
- Teachers, parents and students voice concerns over Hillsborough County School District teacher changes
- Feel like you're getting a ton of political campaign texts? It's not just you. Here's how to stop them
- Tropical storms may develop next week in the Caribbean and Atlantic
- What you need to know about the 6 constitutional amendments on Florida ballots
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter