TAMPA, Fla. — The woman behind the wheel of an SVU that crashed into a pond and overturned was killed, police confirmed.
It happened just after 7 p.m. Wednesday near Whispering Brook and Clover Pine drives, according to the Tampa Police Department. They say an SUV veered off the road for an unknown reason, struck some trees and rolled into a pond.
A 12-year-old girl escaped the SUV but Tampa Fire Rescue says a 38-year-old woman, who was the driver, remained trapped inside. Crews were not able to rescue the driver with the SUV being in the water, spokesperson Jason Penny said during a news conference.
It was taken out of the pond and, hours later, police confirmed the woman died. Crews took the child to an area hospital for treatment.
Tampa police have identified the woman as 38-year-old Nicole Allen.
The crash remains under investigation.
What other people are reading right now:
- 'A turning point in history': Nation reacts after Derek Chauvin's guilty verdict
- How long will Derek Chauvin go to prison for George Floyd's murder?
- What happens next for the other officers charged in George Floyd's death?
- 'We are able to breathe again' | George Floyd's family reacts to Chauvin verdict, calls for police reform
- Broward County Schools superintendent charged with felony perjury
- Here's how to watch NASA, SpaceX's Crew-2 launch
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter