TAMPA, Fla. — A driver drove his truck into his own house Tuesday morning in Tampa, police say. Now, the bomb squad is on scene.
The initial crash happened just before 11 a.m. on West Pearl Avenue near South Trask Street.
As the driver was being taken into custody, investigators say he made statements about "having dangerous chemicals inside the home."
A bomb squad and hazmat crews were then dispatched. The area around the home has been evacuated, and police have established a perimeter.
Other drivers should avoid the area. The following road closures are currently in place:
- Pearl Avenue is shut down between South Renellie Drive and South Hesperides Street.
- South Trask Street is closed between West Paxton Avenue and West Rogers Avenue.
What other people are reading right now:
- US recommends 'pause' for Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines over clot reports
- 'What are you afraid of,' asks mom of transgender child to Florida lawmakers
- DeSantis lashes out at YouTube for removing COVID panel discussion; Democrats blast 'waste of time'
- Derek Chauvin trial: State will rest its case Tuesday, judge says
- Protesters gather in Minnesota despite curfew following deadly police-involved shooting
- St. Pete Pride reveals schedule for 'scaled down' 2021 events
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter