TAMPA, Fla. — A man was shot and killed in a Tampa roadway, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said.
Deputies say it happened around 8:30 p.m. Thursday at the intersection of Waters Avenue and Anderson Road. When they arrived, deputies say they found the body of a man in the roadway next to his car.
According to the sheriff's office, at some point, the man shot got out of his car at the traffic light. For unknown reasons, deputies say the shooter fired his gun. The man died at the scene, detectives say.
The two men didn't appear to know each other, the agency said.
The shooter remained at the scene and is in custody, the sheriff's office said.
"Detectives are currently questioning the shooter, who is cooperating," said Sheriff Chad Chronister in a statement. "Based on preliminary investigative details, the two men did not appear to know each other. We urge anyone who witnessed the incident, to please come forward."
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
What other people are reading right now:
- Deputies: Body found near Skyway Bridge identified as missing Hillsborough County woman
- Inmate accused of murdering baby scales wall to escape Pinellas County Jail, planned to 'Uber to Panama'
- Judge considers Florida's request to set aside CDC rules while cruise case drifts forward
- Lightning will face New York Islanders in Stanley Cup Semifinals
- Tampa teen believes cryptocurrency is the future of finance
- Coughing at a Pinellas County beach? Red tide could be why
- Man identified 27 years after body found in Florida woods
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter