PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. — She woke up to his hands around her neck. This, after she'd allowed him to stay the night inside her home, deputies say.
Around midnight, 44-year-old Clark Caplan, Jr. knocked on a woman's door and asked for a place to stay. She agreed and said he could sleep on the living room floor, according to an affidavit.
She went to sleep in another room. During the night she woke up to Caplan on top of her and his hands around her neck. He then sexually assaulted her, an affidavit said.
She tried to run out the front door, but Caplan reportedly grabbed her by the hair and kept her from leaving or calling for help.
Later that morning, Caplan was arrested and charged with sexual battery, battery, false imprisonment and tampering with a witness, according to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office.
- Deputies: Fire outside Brooksville Walmart forces the store to evacuate minutes after opening on Black Friday
- War on I-4: USF to host UCF in rivalry game
- Sheriff: Man drowns in Palm Harbor natural spring
- How to save the most money shopping online this holiday season
- Side effects from COVID-19 vaccine likely will be unpleasant, doctors warn
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter