ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Emergency crews recommend having your kits ready all hurricane-season long.
However, if you still need to, they say now's the time to stock up before next week's developing Tropical Storm Ian.
These items include:
- Water (about a gallon per person for drinking use, another gallon for hygiene)
- Non-perishable food for each person and pet
- Change of clothing
- A blanket or sleeping bag
- A first aid kit
- Battery-powered weather radio, cell phone, charger (if you can invest in a couple of portable chargers, even better!)
- Emergency toolkit
- Extra car and house keys
- Medicines and any special items
First responders also recommend having important documents like your driver's license or social security card stored safely and ready to go. Consider taking a picture as a backup.
It's possible that you may be on your own for some time during a major storm before crews can reach you. Having these essentials can keep you safe in the event of a dangerous situation.
For more recommendations, visit this visit this link.