LAKE PLACID, Florida — A 45-year-old man died after an apparent attack by a pack of dogs, the Highlands County Sheriff's Office said Thursday.
Deputies received the call just before noon of a body in a wooded area behind a home in the southeast part of the Highway Park area.
The body has been identified as Melvin Olds Jr., 45.
His family told 10News their "hearts are heavy and JJ will be missed."
His injuries indicate an animal attack, deputies said. An autopsy will determine the cause of death.
A pack of dogs was seen in the area after the body was found. Animal Services and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission are setting traps with dog food inside.
Investigators say they are still searching for the dogs which may be responsible for the attack. They say they have captured six so far, but are not sure if they are the ones responsible for the death.
Measurements of the dogs' teeth and DNA swabs will be taken to match the victim and his injuries. The information likely won't be available until after the medical examiner's report is released.
Anyone who sees a pack of dogs or any aggressive dogs are asked to call 863-402-7200.
What other people are reading right now:
- Florida man pretending to be a cop pulls over real deputy, sheriff's office says
- 2 toddlers critically burned when road rage shooting sets off fireworks in truck
- Woman licking Blue Bell ice cream could face up to 20 years in prison
- Billionaire Chris Cline among 7 killed in helicopter crash off the Bahamas
- What your car's air recirculation button really does
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.