BRADENTON, Fla. — It's the end of an era for shoppers in Manatee County-- DeSoto Square Mall is shutting its doors Friday.
WWSB says the nearly 50-year-old mall has had a hard time keeping stores and shoppers.
The Bradenton Herald-Tribune says several store owners confirmed to the newspaper they got a 30-day notice from the mall's management at the start of April.
On Thursday, the mall posted a note to its doors that stated the shopping center's last day was April 30, WWSB reports.
According to The Herald-Tribune, the mall opened back in 1973.
Business Insider reports another 80,000 stores are expected to shut down over the next five years as part of what it's calling the "retail apocalypse."
What other people are reading right now:
- Florida lawmakers pass GOP-backed voting restrictions bill, send to Gov. DeSantis
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Joe Tryon in the first round of the NFL Draft
- Former President Donald Trump says Gov. Ron DeSantis 'would be considered' as his 2024 running mate
- Paraprofessional accused of force-feeding student jelly, stuffing tissues in another's mouth
- 'Operation Dirty Water': 6 charged in $54 million drug bust with ties to the Mexican cartel
- What to do this weekend around Tampa Bay
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter