MANATEE COUNTY, Fla. — A firefighter and two other people were injured Thursday when a home exploded in the Bradenton area.
Cedar Hammock Fire Control District says it was called out to a report of a natural gas leak in the 2900 block of 9th Street West. Approximately three hours into locating and controlling the leak, crews heard an explosion.
Firefighters say the sound came from a home on 29th Avenue West. That house caught fire.
Two people from inside the home were taken to Blake Hospital for unknown injuries, and a firefighter sustained non-life-threatening injuries. The firefighter has since been released and returned home. A reverse 911 call was placed, telling people in the area to shelter in place.
Video from Sky10 shows the roof missing from the home and debris scattered across the yard.
TECO stopped the gas leak, and the fire is under control. Power was shut off by Florida Power & Light in a "pre-determined area."
Other homes in the area have also been checked, and the Red Cross was called out to assist those who may need help.
In total, 58 units from various agencies responded to the scene.
This is a developing story. Check back with 10 Tampa Bay for updates.
What other people are reading right now:
- Tiger nearly tears off arm of volunteer at Big Cat Rescue, organization says
- Bill featured on 'Tiger King' that would ban private big cat ownership set for House vote
- Accused gunman dead, police officer hospitalized after shootout in St. Pete
- Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lights up, with virus rules in place
- 'This is a major priority': Gov. DeSantis outlines current distribution plans for potential COVID-19 vaccines
- Pasco's supervisor of elections slams 'baseless' claims of voter fraud
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter