MANATEE COUNTY, Fla. — A Manatee County Sheriff's Office deputy has resigned after he was arrested early Thursday morning and charged with DUI.
Former Patrol Deputy John Girgis, 25, was stopped around 3 a.m. on State Road 70. The sheriff's office said he was driving fast westbound and struggling to maintain his lane.
Another deputy approached his car at the red light at Lockwood Ridge Road. Authorities say Girgis' eyes were bloodshot, and he admitted to drinking alcohol.
He was taken to jail and later resigned his position "prior to being terminated," the sheriff's office said.
Girgis had been a deputy with the agency since July 2018.
- Rent or buy: What's best for your money?
- More Floridians in favor of vaccination requirement to cruise, USF survey says
- Lightning head on the road for Game 3 of Stanley Cup Semifinals
- Ronnie Oneal III questions his son in double murder trial
- Gov. DeSantis: Florida answers call from Arizona, Texas for border help
- High concentration of red tide measured off Pinellas County coastline, FWC says
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter