PLANT CITY, Fla. — A man was shot and killed by Plant City police early Sunday morning. The department says the officer was defending himself.
According to a news release, 25 year old Steven Kerr, Jr. was found behind the wheel of a stolen car parked along a chain link fence on Spooner Drive near Whitehurst Drive.
It was just after 6 a.m. – still dark outside.
Police say officers identified themselves, but Kerr, Jr. stepped on the gas pedal. The car started moving toward one officer who was between the front bumper – and the fence. The news release says there was no escape path, so that officer – and another officer – both pulled out their weapons and fired at the driver.
Police say Steven Kerr, Jr. was shot at least one time and was pronounced dead at the scene.
The officers were not hurt. One is a 14-year veteran of the force. The other has been with the department for seven years. They were both placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure after a police shooting.
What other people are reading right now:
- Florida man eating with family dies after bullet flies through door
- Women accused of stealing elderly lady's credit cards, smiling on $5K shopping spree
- Why the 'Trucker Salute' is a tradition worth saving
- Police told him his mom was murdered, and his 13-year-old son killed her. He doesn't know what to do
- Florida woman finds horse dead, says it looks like he was cut with knife
- After stroke, local business owner hopes Small Business Saturday will help save store
FREE 10NEWS APP: