As many as 250,000 children deal with hunger in the Tampa Bay area. That's about one in four kids who sometimes go hungry.
The risk of children not having enough to eat only grows during the summer months when they have less access to meals at school.
10News crews and Feeding Tampa Bay partnered together in May for the annual “Cereal for Summer” drive. Tens of thousands of boxes of cereal will help feed children throughout the 10-county area.
There are several other places throughout Tampa Bay that offer free meals for kids.
Feeding Tampa Bay
Feeding Tampa Bay partners with more than 600 local charities and food pantries to distribute emergency food supplies. The organization also offers Trinity Café, which provides a free, three-course meal for those in need.
Summer Break Spot
Summer BreakSpot provides meals at no costs to children ages 18 and younger while school is out for the summer.
Many meals are provided at places like parks, libraries and churches.
Go to Summer BreakSpot’s website for more information. People can also text “FoodFL” to 877-877 or call 211.
Several parenting blogs have compiled lists of free or discounted meals for children at restaurants throughout the Tampa Bay area.
What other people are reading right now:
- National Hurricane Center monitoring tropical disturbance near the Gulf
- Chipotle celebrates nurses with a buy-one-get-one deal
- Virginia Beach victims had 150 years of combined service with city
- Child's remains found in search for Maleah Davis
- These are the hurricane supplies you can buy tax free this weekend