VENICE, Fla. — A 46-year-old man has been arrested after deputies say he stole a parrot from a pet store in Venice.
The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office says on Oct. 14 Richard Rivers grabbed a bag of birdseed, reached into a cage and removed a turquoise green-cheeked conure named “Lapis” from the Pet Supermarket on S. Tamiami Trail. According to investigators, an employee tried to stop him, but Rivers put the bird in his pocket and drove away.
Deputies say surveillance video helped them identify Rivers, who they met at his home Thursday morning. Authorities say they found the stolen bird unharmed.
Rivers was charged with a single count of petit theft. He was taken to the Sarasota County Correctional Facility and held on $500 bond.
What other people are reading right now:
- Iran, Russia obtained US voter information, intelligence agencies warn
- Your guide for the rescheduled 2020 Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg
- Rare, two-headed snake found in Palm Harbor home
- Former St. Pete police officer sentenced for child porn
- Here's the full 2020 World Series schedule
- Gov. DeSantis says any future school closures are 'off the table'
- What you need to know about the 6 constitutional amendments on Florida ballots
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter