LAND O' LAKES, Fla. — A Land O' Lakes High School student is accused of being the gunman in a drive-by shooting that left two other students hurt.
The 18-year-old, Charmille Vincent, was arrested and charged with five counts of attempted homicide and a single count of shooting from a vehicle.
A 17-year-old from Hillsborough County also was taken into custody and charged with five counts of attempted homicide. The teen allegedly was the gunman's driver.
The shooting happened early Saturday in the Lake Padgett Estates area, the sheriff's office said. Deputies say the shooting involved "multiple" students from the school, and it's believed everyone knew each other.
An arrest report shows Vincent fired shots at five people as they stood in the front yard of a home. Deputies say the teen later confessed to firing the gun and claims to have shot "due to previous threats they allegedly made."
The two students who were hurt suffered minor injuries that didn't require hospitalization.
"We thank our community for their support and assistance in identifying these individuals. The numerous tips received from those in the Land O' Lakes area helped lead to the swift conclusion of this investigation," the sheriff's office wrote.
Deputies still plan to have an increased law enforcement presence at Land O' Lakes High School.
- Bucs vs. Packers: The NFC Championship is Sunday in Green Bay
- Pinellas County: COVID-19 vaccine registration site suffers outage
- Heavy fog blamed in Tampa Bay boating crash that injured 7 people
- Legendary broadcaster Larry King dies at 87
- What you should and shouldn't do after getting your COVID-19 vaccine
- Florida surgeon general orders vaccine providers to ensure recipients live in the state
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter