ZEPHYRHILLS, Fla. — Troopers arrested a woman accused of hitting and killing a 17-year-old bicyclist overnight in Pasco County.
Andrea Woods, 43, was heading south on Allen Road just south of Happy Days Drive when she came across two bicyclists on the opposite side of the road, according to a Florida Highway Patrol news release.
The bicyclists were not wearing helmets or using lights just after 2 a.m. Sunday, troopers said.
At some point, troopers said Woods lost control of her car, entered the northbound lanes and crashed into the 17-year-old. The teen died at the scene of the crash.
Woods, who was said to be impaired in excess of three times the legal limit, was arrested and charged with DUI manslaughter, according to FHP.
- Tropical Storm Elsa remains a strong system; Tampa Bay still needs to keep an eye on it
- With Elsa looming, demolition of collapsed Surfside condo to start, halting search and rescue
- Sha'Carri Richardson apologizes after positive drug test disrupts her Olympic plans
- Bodies of 2 children found in rubble of Surfside collapse, mayor says; number of deaths climb to 18
- A Frank Conversation: New podcast explores race, religion, politics and more
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter