ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Two teens were killed in a crash Saturday morning on I-275 in Pinellas County.
Florida Highway Patrol troopers said the 18-year-old driver, who lives in Largo, was trying to change lanes to get to the exit ramp at 22nd Avenue North when she drove into the path of a pickup truck.
It happened around 6:21 a.m. on the northbound side of the interstate.
Troopers said the passenger side of the 18-year-old's car collided with the driver side of the pickup truck, causing the car to rotate across the interstate and onto the shoulder of the exit ramp -- where it hit two trees.
The 18-year-old girl was rushed to the hospital. Her two passengers have died. They have been identified by FHP as 16-year-old Jiana Minaya, of Clearwater, and 17-year-old Keeoshia Edwards, of St. Petersburg.
In an official press release, Florida Highway Patrol indicated the crash was alcohol-related.
FHP said neither the 16-year-old nor the 17-year-old was wearing a seatbelt. The 18-year-old driver was.
The two men in the pickup truck were a 38-year-old Bradenton man and a 33-year-old man from Palmetto. They were not hurt. FHP said they both were wearing seatbelts.
RELATED: Video shows intense crash on I-4
What other people are reading right now:
- House fire kills grandpa, young boy, dog and 8 puppies; little girl in critical condition
- Death of doctor who warned of virus unleashes fury at Chinese officials
- Crews to assess damage left behind by storms
- 16-year-old shot, killed days after he stopped suspect from bullying another boy
- Pizza shop gets shut down for third time in 2 years
- Infant carriers sold at Target, Amazon recalled because baby could fall out
- 1-ton great white shark pings off Florida coast
- Texas restaurant opens early to give a 3-year-old cancer patient the meal of a lifetime