CLEARWATER, Fla. — Following two morning crashes involving a total of 11 cars, the Clearwater Police Department says the Courtney Campbell Causeway is finally back open.
The initial crash occurred in the westbound lanes of the causeway and involved eight cars, according to a press release.
Officers say the crash was the result of a chain reaction when a tractor-trailer driver could not brake in time for stopped traffic. Fourteen people declined medical treatment, while two were taken to area hospitals.
Luckily, the police department says no one experienced life-threatening injuries as a result of the crash.
At this time, all lanes have reopened to traffic.
This is a developing story. Stay with 10 Tampa Bay for updates.
What other people are reading right now:
- Piney Point updates: Manatee County gives people the OK to return home
- CDC's new cruise guidelines could create conflict with Florida's 'no vaccine passports' order
- Derek Chauvin trial: Prosecutors continue to build case around Chauvin's use of force
- Social Security COVID stimulus checks should start arriving Wednesday
- Planning a trip? Check out these tips first
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter