ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — A car turned in front of an oncoming motorcycle, which caused a crash and led to the death of its rider, police said.
It happened around 4:35 p.m. on 18th Avenue S. at 34th Street S., according to a St. Petersburg Police Department news release.
A car driven by an 80-year-old man turned west onto 18th Avenue S. and into the path of a motorcyclist, who was identified as 27-year-old Gregg Johnson Jr.
Police say the bike hit the car and crashed into another before catching fire. Johnson was thrown from the motorcycle.
He died from his injuries at an area hospital. The 80-year-old received minor injuries.
An investigation is ongoing, police said.
What other people are reading right now:
- Latest: No second breach found at Piney Point site, state says
- Officials: US Army Corps examining failing wall at Piney Point site
- Manatee County schools halts bus pick-ups inside Piney Point evacuation zone
- Pasco County lifts indoor mask mandate, but schools will still require face coverings
- Strong demand from younger people as vaccine eligibility age drops to 16
- 60 Minutes investigates allegations Gov. DeSantis' vaccine distribution favored the wealthy
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter