TREASURE ISLAND, Fla. — Deputies say a man they arrested and were trying to take to jail got away from them, jumped into Boca Ciega Bay and later died.
The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office said Donnie Brownlow Jr., 33, was accused of domestic battery obstruction, felony driving while license was suspended/revoked and violation of probation.
Deputies said Brownlow was taken into custody and went to the Treasure Island Police Department while they waited for a jail transport van.
While Brownlow was in handcuffs and being walked to the transportation van he broke free and jumped into Boca Ciega Bay, according to investigators. Paramedics from the Treasure Island Fire Department pulled Brownlow from the water and gave him CPR, deputies said.
He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Investigators said his death did not appear to be suspicious.
Detectives said the Medical Examiner's Office will conduct an autopsy to determine the cause and manner of death.
What other people are reading right now:
- Tropical Depression 17 forms in the Atlantic
- Sheriff: Man arrested for shooting and killing 19-year-old who made finger gun and said 'pow pow'
- After jogger detained for fitting burglar description, Florida sheriff offers him a job
- Florida Congressman Matt Gaetz in Twitter spat with 'Two and a Half Men' actor
- Sarasota deputy placed on leave after struggle with teenage inmate
- Jacob Blake speaks out directly to the public for first time since police shooting
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter