MADEIRA BEACH, Fla. — Jesse Mayer, 35, was arrested at his attorney's office in Clearwater, according to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office.
He was charged with BUI manslaughter, vessel homicide, child neglect, reckless operation of a vessel and violation of navigation rules, deputies say.
The previous story is below.
A 56-year-old man died after the Jet Ski he was riding on was hit by a boat, according to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office.
It happened just before 5 p.m. Friday.
Robert Krysztofowicz was heading north in the Intracoastal Waterway just north of the Tom Stuart Causeway when a 37-foot Center Console Freeman vessel came up from behind, the sheriff's office said.
The boat, operated by 35-year-old Jesse Mayer, was speeding through a slow wake zone, deputies say. It crashed into the back of the Jet Ski and over top of Krysztofowicz, leading to his death.
It's believed speed and impairment are factors in the crash.
An investigation is ongoing.
What other people are reading right now:
- Hurricane Dorian an 'extremely dangerous' Category 4 hurricane
- Live blog: The latest, need-to-know information on Hurricane Dorian
- Mandatory evacuation order issued for parts of Brevard County ahead of Hurricane Dorian
- Indiana electric crew headed to Florida ahead of Hurricane Dorian crashes
- There've already been 1,000 reports of suspected price gouging in Florida as Dorian approaches
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.