CLEARWATER, Fla. — A trip to the Gulf turned tragic Monday afternoon on Clearwater Beach.
A 55-year-old man visiting from Georgia noticed two family members having trouble in the water near Tower 3. So, he jumped in to help them.
But, he began struggling himself.
Lifeguards were alerted and found him floating in the water. They did CPR until fire medics arrived.
The man was taken to Morton Plant Hospital, where he died less than an hour later.
The man has been identified as Thanh Nguyen, 55, of Atlanta. He had seen his niece and son struggling in the water when he went in to try to help.
- Coronavirus in Florida: State reports another 6,336 new cases, 48 more deaths
- Pasco County gentlemen's club catches on fire
- Everything to know about the new St. Pete Pier opening, including how to get a reservation
- Police identify men struck by lightning on Clearwater Beach
- Bellagio error may be biggest sportsbook loss in Vegas history
- Clearwater Fire Medics deliver baby boy on Courtney Campbell beach
- Deadly amoeba that destroys brain infects person in Hillsborough County, health department warns
- Man in famous 9/11 photo dies of coronavirus in Florida
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter