ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Police say the man who reportedly barricaded himself inside a room of a St. Petersburg motel is now in custody.
It happened at the Bayway Inn on 34th Street South around 3:30 p.m. Friday. Officers say the man, Andre Watkins, surrendered to police "in a peaceful manner."
Watkins is charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Jerome Clark and Larrisha Williams, according to police.
During the standoff, the St. Petersburg Police Department said officers believed Watkins was linked to Wednesday's double homicide.
During a news conference, Officer Antonio Gilliam said the department received several calls from community members that Watkins was "hiding" at the motel. Once officers established Watkins was at the motel, Gilliam says they worked to get him to come out peacefully.
Police say the street was shut down in both directions from 42nd Avenue to 46th Avenue South. Officer Gilliam said officers were able to safely evacuate "as many people as possible" from the Bayway Inn.
Officers have been investigating the deaths of 27-year-old Larrisha Williams and 23-year-old Jerome Clark. They were found shot and killed early Wednesday morning inside a car near the Public Storage on 34th Street South, according to police.
On Thursday, the department announced a $5,000 reward for information about a person of interest who may have "valuable information" about Williams and Clark's deaths.
Watch the full press conference here:
- Trump defense team takes stage at impeachment Friday, may rest case quickly
- New data shows Super Bowl celebrations might not cause huge spike in COVID-19 cases
- VERIFY: Wear two masks and know the tricks to a snug fit to stop COVID-19
- Kids facing cancer receive surprise Valentines from students at different school
- Scientists say a domestic travel ban targeting Florida won't stop the spreading of COVID-19 mutations
- Florida Walmarts 'accidentally' opened up COVID-19 vaccine appointments for people under 65
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter