ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Gai Marwil, 32, is behind bars after the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office says he shot and killed another man outside of the 4Play Gentlemen's Club on Gandy Boulevard Saturday morning.
Deputies say the incident occurred around 4:11 a.m. when a "large altercation" broke out inside the Emporium Lounge filled with several hundred people.
A crowd moved outside into the parking lot including Marwil and the man he's accused of shooting. The sheriff's office says Marwil was leaving in his car when he opened fire hitting and killing the man.
After firing his weapon Marwil took off and was involved in a single-car crash at 275 and 54th Avenue North and taken to the hospital with serious injuries.
Investigative techniques led detectives to identify Marwil as the shooter, according to a release.
Marwil faces charges of first-degree murder and felon in possession with a firearm. He remains in the hospital at this time.
What other people are reading right now:
- Stanley Cup Final Game 1: Tampa Bay Lightning take on Dallas Stars Saturday
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87
- 'Long haulers': Some COVID-19 survivors dealing will chronic illnesses
- Here's how to watch the Tampa Bay Lightning play in the Stanley Cup Final
- McConnell: Trump Supreme Court nominee will receive vote by full Senate
- CDC reverses controversial COVID-19 testing guidance
- Busy tropics: Tracking major hurricane, 2 tropical storms and 2 disturbances
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter