ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — St. Pete police are searching for a man they say shot and killed his girlfriend while she held their baby in her arms.
Police say officers got the call around 5:30 p.m. Saturday in the area of 1st Avenue S. and 60th Street S., near Woodlawn Memory Gardens. When they arrived, officers say they found 27-year-old Joana Peca dead from a gunshot wound inside a car.
Her two young children were inside the car with her. They weren't hurt but were "terrified," according to police.
On Monday, police issued an arrest warrant for 38-year-old Benjamin Robert Williams aka "Bambi," who they say was in a relationship with Peca and the father of her infant child.
Police say Williams shot Peca in the face multiple times while she was holding their child. Her older child was in the backseat during the shooting, according to police.
Williams is believed to be armed and dangerous, according to law enforcement.
Anyone with information on William's whereabouts is asked to call the department's non-emergency line at 727-893-7780 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-873-TIPS . Crime Stoppers is offering up to $5000 for information that leads to an arrest.
What other people are reading right now:
- Florida records highest-ever new COVID-19 case total in a single day, CDC data shows
- Florida reports more than 100,000 new COVID-19 cases in weekly report
- Police: Woman arrested in crash that killed baby girl, 16-year-old boy in St. Pete
- Gov. DeSantis signs executive order ensuring parents can choose if their kids wear masks
- Disney requiring all salaried, non-union hourly employees to be fully vaccinated
- CDC document warns delta variant appears to be as contagious as chickenpox
- Time to buy school supplies: Here's how to save big
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter