ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — A St. Petersburg woman is accused of letting her two dogs kill a duckling while the duckling's mom tried to stop the attack.
Bonnie Sue Nave, 59, is charged with cruelty to animals.
The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office claims she kicked the mother duck "several times" and allowed her canines to attack the baby duck.
Investigators say it happened on Sept. 1. Two people saw the attack and reported it to law enforcement, deputies say.
According to an arrest affidavit, Nave did not deny what happened but said the ducks attacked her dogs. The affidavit said, "she thought the ducks were an invasive species."
Nave was booked into jail and later released on $5,000 bond, court records showed.
What other people are reading right now:
- Hurricane Dorian finally begins to move away from Grand Bahama
- Live blog: The latest, need-to-know information on Hurricane Dorian
- Before-and-after photos show how badly Hurricane Dorian flooded the Bahamas
- Police: 26 kilos of cocaine wash up on Florida beach during Hurricane Dorian
- Hurricane chaser shares remarkable story of riding out Dorian in Bahamas
FREE 10NEWS APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter