ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — A man and the family dog died early Saturday morning following a house fire, firefighters said.
St. Petersburg Fire Rescue responded around 6:50 a.m. to the area of 6th Avenue S. and 31st Street S., where smoke was seen coming from the home.
As crews worked to attack the fire outside, other firefighters went inside and found the man on the floor, according to a fire rescue news release. They began life-saving measures once outside and transported him to an area hospital, where he died.
A dog was inside the home at the time of the fire, and firefighters say it also died.
The cause of the fire and cause of death are under investigation.
- Senate reaches deal to skip witnesses in Trump trial
- New data shows Super Bowl celebrations might not cause huge spike in COVID-19 cases
- VERIFY: Wear two masks and know the tricks to a snug fit to stop COVID-19
- Kids facing cancer receive surprise Valentines from students at different school
- Scientists say a domestic travel ban targeting Florida won't stop the spreading of COVID-19 mutations
- Florida Walmarts 'accidentally' opened up COVID-19 vaccine appointments for people under 65
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter