LARGO, Fla. — A 17-year-old mother threw her 5-week-old baby to the floor out of frustration, causing him to suffer a fractured skull, deputies say.
The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office was notified about the incident when the baby was admitted Wednesday evening to John Hopkins All Children's Hospital, according to a news release.
The baby boy had a fractured skull, a brain hemorrhage and possible brain damage.
The child and his twin brother were left at their Largo home with their mother, who 10News is not identifying because of her age, after their grandmother went to work.
When she arrived home to feed the boys, she noticed one of them appeared to be in discomfort and declined to eat. The grandmother also found the baby's head to be misshapen.
When investigators attempted to figure out what happened, deputies say the babies' mother gave several versions of a story that did not appear consistent with the injuries. She later admitted to throwing the baby out of frustration while under her care, the news release states.
The mother is charged with one count of aggravated child abuse with great bodily harm/permanent disfigurement.
What other people are reading right now:
- Mom raises awareness, presses hospital after sudden death of her baby
- Google 'Florida man' followed by your birthday: What's your story?
- Breast milk donations needed after mom tragically dies in Florida
- He left a letter behind before he was executed. Now, we know he's a serial killer.
- Hallmark Channel needs extras for movie filming in Safety Harbor
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.