POLK COUNTY, Fla. — Polk County deputies have confirmed the fifth case of rabies in the county since the beginning of 2019.
The case was confirmed Wednesday after deputies received a call Sunday about a resident stepping on a bat on the ground near a Winter Haven home on Little Lake Court.
The bat, which was later found dead in the same spot, was sent in for rabies testing.
The bat tested positive for rabies, adding to four prior cases of rabies in the county since the beginning of 2019.
What other people are reading right now:
- Woman pushed elderly man from bus after he told her to be nice, police say
- Florida mayor threatens to kill neighbors after incident with his daughter, police say
- Mom, 2 kids died in Town 'n' Country apartment fire, sheriff says
- Thinking about getting the hepatitis A vaccine? You might need your wallet
- Video shows healthcare staff punching, beating man with disabilities with belt
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.