BARTOW, Fla. — Firefighters who put out a car fire early Saturday discovered a body was still inside.
Rescuers were called around 6:13 a.m. Saturday to the area of U.S. Highway 17 N and U.S. Highway 98, where a brush fire was reported, according to a Bartow Police Department news release.
The responding firefighters noticed a car crashed into the tree, which caused it to catch fire. It was extinguished, and the body was discovered.
Police have since taken over the investigation and are trying to figure out the driver's identity and how the crash happened.
- Tampa mayor: 'Stay-at-home' order extremely likely by early next week
- Tom Brady announces he is joining the Buccaneers
- Florida restaurants ordered to stop serving food in dining rooms, but they can now deliver alcohol
- Pinellas County will close all beaches amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Tampa woman shares her experience with COVID-19
- This interactive map shows coronavirus cases in Florida
- Coronavirus resources: Hotlines, websites offer the latest on COVID-19
FREE 10NEWS APP: